Here’s a confession… I like to use shortcuts. I have a day job, I get home late, and on weekdays I will accept anything that speeds up the process of cooking dinner. This recipe calls for a steam-in-bag bag of fresh spinach. Feel free to save money by buying spinach in bulk and steaming it yourself.
Steamed Spinach Salad
- 1 bag of steam-in-bag fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- Follow the instructions on the bag for steaming the spinach.
- Mix remaining ingredients except for the pine nuts in a microwavable salad bowl. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Add the spinach and pine nuts to the bowl and toss well.
- Serve warm or chilled.
Makes 4 servings. Each serving has the following:
DASH food groups: Vegetables: 1.5 servings; Nuts/seeds/legumes: 1/8 serving; Oils: 1/4 serving
Sodium: 25 mg